Google
 

Mr. Educator Headline Animator

Tuesday

Are Male Elementary Teachers "On an Island"?

The following message was left in response to my Children First poem. It is messages like me that wish there was a place/cohort/organization/etc. for male elementary teachers. Is there a place like this? Does anyone else think there is a need for this?

I am a male elementary teacher and I too the only male classroom teacher on my staff.

I have been an elementary teacher for 25 years. I'll be retiring in two years. It's been an adventure to be the only male teacher in our school for most of that time. When I started we had eight male classroom teachers. By my seventh year, I was the only one left. We've only had one other male teacher since then; and he lasted for two years. It's nice to be idealistic, but the reality is that a male in an elementary school is a "sitting duck" for accusations and law suits. Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with that, but other male teachers in our building have. Also, most men are not content to stay in an elementary classroom. They usually move to the middle school or to administration.While I'm happy to have been an elementary teacher, and to have touched so many young lives in a positive way, this is not a job I would choose again or encourage my own two children to pursue. Mr. Educator, I pray that you'll always find satisfaction and fulfillment in your elementary classroom, as I have. Our society NEEDS good male role models in our elementary schools more today than ever. God bless you!

3 comments:

Mister Teacher said...

Hey, Mr. Educator, thanks for stopping by my blog! When I first started teaching at my school, there weren't that many male teachers. The number has increased quite a bit over the past few years. I find that a bit unfortunate, as every teaching spot occupied by a male teacher takes away a spot that potentially could be filled by a hot, single young female. :)

Anonymous said...

There IS an organization that has been around for many years:

http://www.MenTeach.org

Be certain to sign up for the monthly newsletter.

Regards,

Bryan

teachercreature said...

Hi Mr Ed. I am one of only three men on our staff and I have worked at schools where I was the only one. It's an issue in the UK too. There is an argument that lots of boys need positive male role models to look up to. But the teaching profession is unfortunately less attractive to men. It does however mean that those of us that are about are more in demand!