Google
 

Mr. Educator Headline Animator

Sunday

Ask a Preschooler

Ask a preschooler what he or she wants to be when they grow up. I bet I can tell you what you will hear.

In college I did some research at the campus daycare. I asked 24 three and four year olds what they wanted to be when they grew up. I expected to hear gender specific, stereotypical answers, but what I heard astonished me.

For the 12 girls (I am leaving nothing out) I heard princess, teacher, nurse, movie star, and police officer.

For the 12 boys I heard scientist, baseball player, doctor, garbage man, army guy, teacher (he said he wanted to be one like me), and police officer.

I found it interesting that there were two children, a boy and a girl, that wanted to be police officers. I decided to ask each of them why they wanted to be a police officer. The boy told me that it was so he could "get the bad guys." The girl said, "I want to help kids cross the street."

By conducting this short study I learned that gender stereotypes and deeply engrained in children as young as 3 years old. What I didn't learn was why. Is it society? Is it nature? Is it such a bad thing?

Gender issues have been something that I am mystified by on a regular basis. Any thoughts?

No comments: